Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I was wondering if anyone with cancer has been helped in any way by massage or beauty therapy?

I am an esthetician and massage therapist and I was wondering how I could best care for my clients with cancerI was wondering if anyone with cancer has been helped in any way by massage or beauty therapy?
I am a cancer patient and I frequently get massages. Anything to make you feel better helps. My massage therapist has comped me a few massages, the last one shortly after my mom died and I had just had surgery and it was wonderful and kind.





Actually there is no restriction on massage on cancer patients, though that myth has been around. I asked my oncologist and he said it was perfectly fine and go for it. He is considering hiring a massage therapist for the chemo room at his practice. There are some minor precautions for certain breast cancer patients but we patients know who we are what they are and can tell you what our specific limitations are. I am getting acupuncture this week with the blessing of my doctor, with some limitations. If you have any concerns, have the client get an OK from her oncologist first. But I have known many cancer patients that have gotten massages while in treatment and none of us had any restrictions.





My hair stylist cut my hair short when it was about to come out due to chemo and she also helped me find a wig. I couldn't thank her enough.





The American Cancer Society has a program called Look Good Feel Better that teaches cancer patients how wear makeup, deal with hair loss, and other beauty issues. You could offer your services to ACS and become a Look Good Feel Better instructor. You could help a lot of people that way. It's a great program and many people (myself included) take advantage of it.





All these things matter a lot to those of us in treatment. Thank you for wanting to help your clients.I was wondering if anyone with cancer has been helped in any way by massage or beauty therapy?
You really need to take extra training to do massage on people with cancer. There are all sorts of medical complications and such. You have to know what you are doing. There are a few good books on it and you can take classes in it.





Basically it helps with the stress of it all and helps them to feel human after all of the dehumanizing treatments.
It sounds wonderful.





When my son was in the hospital there was a doctor and team that came around and did some type of muscle relaxant massage. They knew exactly which muscles to massage to help with pain . . it worked for a while for my son. Unfortunately there did come a time when he just didn't want anyone to even touch him around his back. But at first it was so wonderful for him . . . definitely worthwhile for you to pursue this.





There is a speciality course you can take in Massage for oncology patients . . pediatric oncology as well will teach how to help these patients.
You might look into taking classes in working with patients with lymph edema which can be an uncomfortable side effect of cancer surgery.
I feel like anytime you make someone feel and look good, you help them!

No comments:

Post a Comment